MPhil in Theology
Our uniquely designed MPhil in Theology programme, with its strong interdisciplinary and ecumenical emphases, is rooted in the Catholic Intellectual Tradition and, at the same time, it seeks to contribute to its growth and development from specifically South African perspectives.
Masters in Theology at St Augustine College comes in three specialisations: Fundamental & Systematic Theology, Christian Spirituality and Pastoral Theology, though the last one is not being offered in 2015-2016. The fourth specialisation in Canon Law, once available at the College, may be reoffered should there be sufficient number of students interested in that option.
The uniqueness of this programme lies in the fact that it combines contact modules with independent study. Modules are scheduled four times during the year. The students attend one week of intensive lectures (usually timed to coincide with the school holidays) and then complete further requirements independently in the following 9 or 10 weeks. The degree requires seven ‘taught’ modules and a subsequent research paper of 18,000 words under the supervision of a lecturer.
An Honours degree is required for admittance to the programme, however it need not be in an area directly related to Theology. It is also possible to do an MPhil degree entirely by research should the student qualify on the basis of their previous study and research record.
All MPhil Theology Students (But for Canon Law) must take the following core modules:
- MPHP 501: DIGNITY OF THE HUMAN PERSON
- MPHT 549: BIBLICAL STUDIES
- MPHP 508: PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION
- MPHT 538: GENERAL SURVEY OF THEOLOGY (unless exempt due to previous studies in theology)
And a RESEARCH PAPER of 18,000 words in the area of specialisation
SPECIALISATION IN FUNDAMENTAL & SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY (MPTSFST)
- MPHT 543: TRINITY (required)
- MPHT 541: CHRISTOLOGY (required)
- MPHT 544: AFRICAN THEOLOGY (elective)
- MPHT 540: ECUMENISM AND INTER-FAITH DIALOGUE (elective)
- MPHT 539: MORAL THEOLOGY (elective)
SPECIALISATION IN CHRISTIAN SPIRITUALITY (MPTSCS)
- MPHT 531: CHRISTIAN SPIRITUAL TRADITION (required)
- MPHT 532: DYAMICS OF SPIRITUALITY (required)
- MPHT 533: MYSTICISM (elective)
- MPHT 524: SPIRITUALITY AND PSYCHOLOGY (elective)
- MPHT 530: BIBLICAL SPIRITUALITY (elective)
SPECIALISATION IN CANON LAW (MPTSCL)
- MPHT515 HISTORY, THEOLOGY AND PRINCIPLES OF CANON LAW
- MPHT516 THE UNIVERSAL CHURCH AND PARTICULAR CHURCHES
- MPHT517 THE CHRISTIAN FAITHFUL
- MPHT536 THE MINISTRY OF TEACHING AND SANCTIFYING
- MPHT513 THE SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE
- MPHT519 TEMPORAL GOODS AND SANCTIONS IN THE CHURCH
- MPHT520 PROCESSES AND TRIBUNALS
*If a student has not done previous studies in theology, the student must take the General Survey of Theology (MPHT538)