I have studied and lectured at many tertiary institutions and Business Schools in South Africa but St Augustine College changed my heart.
- Terry Foster
Foundations of Ethics [Philosophy]
Prof Jan JANS
Duration & Time:
30 March – 3 April 2020, 8h30am – 17h00
Cost excludes course material.
This module provides the student with an overview of the nature of ethics and of important approaches to ethics, notably the analytical approach, the phenomenological approach, virtue ethics, natural law ethics and ethics based on human nature.
Some of the central questions examined in this module include:
• What does it mean to be human? A look at some of the main theories of the human person from the Greeks to the post-moderns.
• What is the good life? Ethics is about human action and involves the judgment of good and bad. What constitutes a good action and can it be considered apart from a good life?
• Is there a human nature? This will include a brief look at the theory of natural law as well as the ethics of Sartre.
• What is the relationship between human acts and moral virtue? A brief look at the Aristotelian/Thomistic tradition.
• What is the approach of utilitarianism /emotivism to morality?
• What is Kant’s moral teaching?
• What is the present state of moral philosophy? MacIntyre's argument.
This module will also examine the nature of moral norms/rules and their application to particular circumstances (i.e. the so-called ‘situation ethics’). This focus will include models of moral decision- making: deontological, teleological, relational-responsible; conflict(s) of value(s) and moral dilemmas; principle of intrinsic evil; principle of double effect and proportionalism; conscience: its nature (moral/ psychological), formation and function.
If you are interested in this module, please register on-line below, or ‘phone Mrs Helen HARTWIG on 011 380 9000, or email email@example.com.
Please deposit the amount in the St Augustine Bank Account. Please reference your deposit with your SURNAME and the Name of the module (eg A. AURELIUS ‘Moral Theology’). Please email your deposit slip to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Name of Bank: Standard Bank of South Africa
Account Holder’s Name: St Augustine College of South Africa
Account Number: 02 251 79 28
Branch Code: 006305
Alternatively, should you wish to study the module as part of a postgraduate degree (Theology, Philosophy, Business Ethics, Social and Political Ethics, Culture and Education, Peace Studies), please visit the postgraduate degree section of the St Augustine Website, or contact our Registrar, Mrs Petru HARRISON (011 380 9011; email@example.com)
St Augustine also offers a range of undergraduate degrees (BA, BCom (PPE), BTh). Should you require further information please visit the undergraduate degree section of the St Augustine Website (www.staugustine.ac.za), or contact our College Administrator, Mr Thulani DUBE (011 380 9010; firstname.lastname@example.org).