We examine moral questions revolving around human life – birth to death, health care and human flourishing. Drawing upon both philosophical and theological discourses, we ask the fundamental questions: how can one best preserve and protect the quality of human life?
The content includes:
(1) Beginning/s of Life:
• How far should science assist in human reproduction?
• What grounds, if any, are there for various forms of fertility control?
• Are there ever grounds for abortion?
(2) Health and Human Flourishing:
• Who should pay for health care?
• What criteria should govern medical research on human subjects?
• How does AIDS change the playing field of health care?
(3) End of Life:
• Do I have the right to die?
• What are the moral implications of living wills, advance directives and the limitations
of public health resources?
If you are interested in this module, please register on-line below, or ‘phone Mrs Helen HARTWIG on 011 380 9000, or email email@example.com.
Please deposit the amount in the St Augustine Bank Account. Please reference your deposit with your SURNAME and the Name of the module (eg A. AURELIUS ‘Moral Theology’). Please email your deposit slip to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Name of Bank: Standard Bank of South Africa
Account Holder’s Name: St Augustine College of South Africa
Account Number: 02 251 79 28
Branch Code: 006305
Alternatively, should you wish to study the module as part of a postgraduate degree (Theology, Philosophy, Business Ethics, Social and Political Ethics, Culture and Education, Peace Studies), please visit the postgraduate degree section of the St Augustine Website, or contact our Registrar, Mrs Petru HARRISON (011 380 9011; email@example.com)
St Augustine also offers a range of undergraduate degrees (BA, BCom (PPE), BTh). Should you require further information please visit the undergraduate degree section of the St Augustine Website (www.staugustine.ac.za), or contact our College Administrator, Mr Thulani DUBE (011 380 9010; firstname.lastname@example.org).