Skip to main content

Professor Raidt was born in Germany and has been living in South Africa since 1954. She holds a BA (Hons), a BEd and a Masters degree as well as a PhD in Afrikaans & Dutch Linguistics from the University of Cape Town and has been awarded honorary doctorates from four South African universities (Potchefstroom, Witwatersrand, Port Elizabeth, University of Natal).

For many years she was Professor of Afrikaans and Historical Linguistics at the University of the Witwatersrand. She has published eight books and numerous scholarly articles and was the member of seven international scholarly societies.  

Professor Raidt also developed courses in Christian Business Leadership which she conducted in South Africa, South America and Europe.

She has been the Editor of PRAXIS ‑ Journal for Christian Business Leadership (since 1993), the Editor‑in‑chief of the Tydskrif vir Geesteswetenskappe (Journal for the Humanities), official quarterly of the South African Academy for Arts and Science (1976‑2000) and Editor of the St Augustine Papers (1999-2013), journal of St Augustine College of South Africa.

In 1989 she was nominated the “Business Personality of the Week” (The Star). She has been cited in 10th international Who's Who

In 1994 she was awarded the Langenhoven Prize for Linguistics by the South African Academy for Arts and Science.

In 2000 Minister President Erwin Teufel conferred on her the “Landesverdienstmedaille” (order of merit) of Baden- Wuerttemberg, Germany.

In 2007 she received the Wilhelm Weber Prize for Christian Business Leadership

In 2010 the President of Germany, Horst Koehler, conferred on her the Order of the Federal Republic of Germany (Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande)

After her retirement from Wits University in 1996 she co-founded St Augustine College, the first Catholic University in South Africa, where she became Founding President/Rector from 1999 until 2008. Professor Raidt has been President Emeritus of the College since 2008.

Professor Raidt is a member of the Secular Institute of the Schoenstatt Sisters of Mary.