Mr Michael Khorommbi
“Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.” – The Talmud
An alumnus of St Augustine College, Michael spiecialises in regional integration and peace building in Africa. He’s eager to explore these research areas in greater depth and make his own contributions.
He joined the St Augustine team as a library and marketing assistance in 2015. Thereafter, in October 2017, he received a scholarship from the African Union to study in Cameroon, Central Africa. He is currently studying for a Master of Science in Governance and Regional Integration at the Pan-African University Institute for Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences, hosted within the University of Yaoundé, Soa II.
He re-joined the St Augustine team as a part-time lecturer in history in February 2019. He writes articles (in his own personal capacity) for the Daily Maverick. In addition, his is an intern at/with the Political Economy of Southern Africa, as a junior regional analyst. PESA is a political economy think tank focused on SADC regional integration and African development.
- Bachelor of Arts (St Augustine College) - 2015
- BA (Hons) in Peace Studies (St Augustine College) - 2017
*** His Honours thesis focused on civil society organisations’ participation in ‘befriending the neighbours’ in the context of the East African Community’s regional integration process.
- MSc in Governance and Regional Integration (Pan-African University, University of Yaounde Soa II, Cameroon) - in progress
*** His Master thesis focuses on the development of regional value chains in Southern Africa under the European Union – Southern African development community Economic partnership.
Online Newspaper Articles:
- 2019. “Rwanda’s successes continue to confound its critics.” Daily Maverick, 5 March. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-03-05-rwandas-successes-continue-to-confound-its-critics/
- 2019. “Self-determination and secessionism in Africa.” Daily Maverick, 28 January. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-01-28-self-determination-and-secessionism-in-africa/
- 2019. “South Africa shows its commitment to promoting intra-African trade.” Daily Maverick, 15 January. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-01-15-south-africa-shows-its-commitment-to-promoting-intra-african-trade/
- 2019. “How Africa should treat the Trump administration’s strategy for the continent.” Daily Maverick, 13 January. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-01-13-how-africa-should-treat-the-trump-administrations-strategy-for-the-continent/
- 2019. “The African Union needs a comprehensive sexual harassment policy.” Daily Maverick, 10 January. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-01-10-the-african-union-needs-a-comprehensive-sexual-harassment-policy/
- 2018. “African leaders owe it to citizens to disclose their health issues.” Daily Maverick, 9 December. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2018-12-09-african-leaders-owe-it-to-citizens-to-disclose-their-health-issues/
- 2018. “DRC election: Is Kabila ensuring victory for his man Shadary?” Daily Maverick, 4 December. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2018-12-04-drc-election-is-kabila-ensuring-victory-for-his-man-shadary/
- 2018. “A new breed of leaders deconstructs the ‘toothless bulldog’ African Union narrative.” Daily Maverick, 28 November. Available at: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2018-11-28-a-new-breed-of-leaders-deconstructs-the-toothless-bulldog-african-union-narrative/
- 2018. Review of Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior by Ngcobo, Ndumiso. St Augustine Papers 19(1/2):119-122.
- 2019. “Youth Inclusion in University Infrastructures for Peace in the Context of Post-apartheid South Africa.” Paper to be presented at the 2019 Africa Young Graduates and Scholars (AYGS) Conference, an annual event organised by the Africa Institute of South Africa (AISA) in the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC), Johannesburg, 18-20 March 2019.