Dr Serge Kubanza
Dr. Nzalalemba Serge Kubanza received a Ph.D. in Geography from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa and a Master's degree in Development Planning from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. He holds a BA-Honours in Sociology and Anthropology from the University of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo and a BA in Anthropology and Sociology from the University of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has published extensively in the areas of solid waste management, social justice, environmental justice and sustainability. He has held various positions with non-profit organisations in South Africa and with academic institutions as a lecturer and researcher. He is a sociologist, Anthropologist, a Development Planner, Human Geographer and a systems analyst by training and he specialised in human and urban geography and environmental sustainability. He undertook a three month research training session at the International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis in Austria. He also undertook a three-month internship at the UN-Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland from February 2017-May 2017.
- Kubanza N.S and Simatele M.D. (2019). Solid Waste Management and Environmental Injustice in Poor Communities in Kinshasa: A Cultural theory and Systems Approach, Journal of Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 8, No. 1, ISSN 2164-7682.
- Dlamini S, Simatele M.D and Kubanza N.S. (2019). Municipal solid waste management in South Africa: from waste to energy recovery through waste-to-energy technologies in Johannesburg, Local Environment, 24:3, 249-257.
- Beck, B.M., Das, D.K., Thompson, M., Chirisa, I., Eromobor, S., Kubanza, NS, Rewal, T., and Burger, E. (2018). Cities as Forces for Good in the Environment: A Systems Approach, in: Mensah,P., Katerere, D., Hachigota, S. and Roodt, A. (Eds), Systems Analysis Approach for complex Global challenges, Springer, Cham, Switzerland.
- Kubanza, NS and Simatele, D. (2017): Sustainable Solid Waste Management in Sub-Saharan African cities: Application of System Thinking and System Dynamic as Methodological Imperatives in Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Local Environment, DOI: 10.1080/13549839.2017.1399996.
- Kubanza, NS. Das, DK and Simatele, D. (2017). Some Happy, Others Sad: Exploring Environmental Justice in Solid Waste Management in Kinshasa, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Local Environment, 22:5, 595-620.
- Simatele, D; Dlamini, S; and Kubanza, NS. (2017). From Informality to Formality: Perspectives on the Challenges of Integrating Solid Waste management Into the Urban Development and Planning Policy in Johannesburg, South Africa, Habitat International, 63. 122-130.
- Kubanza, NS and Simatele, D. (2016). Social and Environmental Injustices in Solid Waste Management in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Study of Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Local Environment, 21:7, 866-882.